Your Health - You and your chiropractor in Mackay
One definition of 'Health' is that it is the body's ability to accurately assess and appropriately respond to life's stressors.
Subluxations (or spinal mis-alignments) throughout the physical body interfere with the brain's communication to every organ, muscle, tissue, system, gland and cell. Your Chiropractor in Mackay will use adjustments to restore joint function and reduce the detrimental effects of subluxations, thus enabling the body to approach its optimum health potential.
How you feel is not a great way to assess your health. This is why dentists routinely look for cavities; why medical doctors test blood pressure and pulse; and why Chiropractors check for Vertebral Subluxation (mis- alignments or nerve interference).
Why Subluxations? 'The Three T s'
All subluxations occur due to a combination of three stresses on the body. These are sometimes referred to as the 'Three T s' of subluxation.
- Trauma (physical)
- Toxins (chemical)
- Thoughts (emotional)
The amounts of each may vary, but all three components are present with all subluxations.
- The TRAUMA of repetitive strains like poor posture or injuries, place bio-mechanical stress on the supportive tissues of the vertebral motion segment.
- TOXINS from tobacco, alcohol, drugs, food preservatives, chemical pesticides and additives place considerable stress on the delicate chemical balance within the body. This contributes to the subluxation complex through a mechanism called the viscero-somatic reflex.
- THOUGHTS have the potential to be the most significant and detrimental stress with regard to contributing to the subluxation complex. Emotional stress leads to neurological and physiological changes in the body (e.g. Increased heart rate, increased muscle tone, nervousness, decreased gastro-intestinal function, breathing changes and so on.) All of these responses change nervous system function and will affect the body.
A cause may appear to be singular (e.g. a car accident), but there is obvious emotional stress associated with a trauma and on a cellular level, chemical changes are also occurring in the way of inflammation. The physical component of the subluxation can be sitting silently in the spine and have no apparent symptoms attached to it. This can be slowly compromising your health and healing potential. As long as you have the 'Three T s' in your life causing nerve interference, it is essential to get adjusted regularly at Mackay Chiropractic in Mackay to keep your whole body functioning properly.
The Four Pillars of Health
Addressing the four pillars of health daily will maximise your potential for healthy living and can help minimise the effect of the traumas, toxins and the thoughts that cause nerve interference.
The Four Pillars of Health are:
The body needs to be fuelled with the highest quality ingredients in order to function optimally. A body fuelled with organic fruit and vegetables will always work more effectively than one fuelled with take-away food and cigarette smoke. No one would intentionally put the wrong fuel into a car and expect it to run well, so why would anyone put poor quality building blocks (food) into their system? The old saying goes “You are what you eat”; this is a fact. High energy fruit and vegetables intake results in a healthy body and mind – fast foods reduce energy and clog the arteries. Knowing these facts helps us to make the correct choices in food which, in turn, take us to a healthier lifestyle.
There needs to be some degree of physical fitness in order to maximise health. Just 30 minutes of physical activity each day can significantly enhance your health and wellness. Physical exercise can lead to:
- Increased bone strength
- Increased physical work capacity (your ability to perform physical work)
- An Increased range of motion or flexibility of the joints
- An Improved sense of well being
- Increased muscular strength
- Improved glucose regulation (very favourable for diabetics)
- Decreased blood pressure
- Improved sleep patterns and levels of anxiety
- Making you feel better
Each of us is exposed to emotionally stressful situations in our daily life; how we respond to these stressors will impact on our bodies in dramatically different ways. Imagine you are driving along and someone cuts you off - you could respond by yelling abuse, beeping the horn and waiving your fist, but is it really helping your 'peaceful' state of mind?
Another approach could be to back off, accept that they are in hurry, and listen to some relaxing music. Who would you rather be; the stressed potential heart-attack victim or the one with lower blood pressure; lower heart rate; less nervous system interference and overall balance? It is really 'NO CONTEST'.
How well is your brain working in harmony with your body? The brain controls the function of every cell in the entire body. If communication with the brain is reduced, cells cannot function at their peak. If nerve supply to a muscle is reduced, it is logical to understand that the muscle may not be as strong as it should be. If nerve supply to an organ is reduced, then that organ will not do its job as well as it should.
If you choose to be adjusted regularly at your chiropractor you can enjoy a life with your spine functioning correctly and with negligible nerve interference. Better communication between brain and body means a better quality of life.